Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine's Day: Easy Dinner for Two

As a cook, I work on days like this. Valentine's Day is the one night every restaurant expects to be busy. I don't think I remember the last Valentine's Day I had off was. We don't really celebrate Valentine's Day either. I go with the motto, you should show who you love that you love them no matter when.

Despite not celebrating it I did want my boyfriend to know I love him today so I decided to make his favourite meal, shepherd's pie. There's usually just the two of us for dinner so we always make sure there's enough for him for lunch the next day. This is my recipe for Shepherd's Pie for two!

Ingredients

1lb ground beef
1 medium onion diced
4 strips of bacon diced
1/2 pkg onion soup mix

3 medium sized potatoes (we like yellow fleshed because it's so buttery and sweet)
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste.

Quarter potatoes cover with cold water and set to boil until tender.

In a separate pan sauteed onions and bacon until onions are opaque.
Add ground beef to onion/bacon mixture. Cook until beef is browned. Add onion soup mix and toss.
Place into a small casserole dish.


Once potatoes are tender, add butter and sour cream. Whip until mashed with an electric hand blender (yup my little secret for fluffy potatoes. Season to taste.
Spread potatoes onto meat let set for 10 minutes and serve!


Super easy and always delicious! You can always switch it up and add more veggies or another favourite mashed potatoes  combo of mine is roasted garlic and a touch of goat cheese. How do you like your shepherd's pie?

What did you make or had made for you this Valentines? Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment