Thursday 28 November 2013

Banana Bread Every Week!

So there's this silent agreement with my boyfriend and I in regards to baked goods at home. Always have a banana loaf ready weekly. I have no idea how this tradition started but ever since I moved into this new house we are in back in July it had been a weekly occurrence.

Now, to spice it up I've tried both pumpkin loaves around Thanksgiving (Canadian version) and an apple strudel coffee cake but both were met with mediocre responses from my boyfriend and my roommate so banana seems to be it.

Banana bread is a classic comfort food. I actually buy extra bananas every time I go to the store to ensure I have enough for my baking needs.

The recipe itself is fairly simple. Usually it takes me about 10 minutes to put together and an hour or so in the oven.

Banana Bread

Prep time: 10-20 minutes
Cook time:1 hour

Ingredients

1 cup butter room temp
1/2 cup sugar
2 lrg or 3 med bananas mashed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour (I like to blend the unbleached and the whole wheat so I can tell myself it's healthy!)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 350F
With a hand mixer or stand up mixer cream butter and sugar together. Once pale yellow and fluffy, add bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Mix together. It will look separated or like it has curdled but that's fine.

Add in flour baking soda and salt. Mix until batter is smooth.

Grease a loaf pan with butter then sprinkle with sugar to prevent sticking and makes for a delicious caramelized crust to the loaf.

Pour batter into the loaf pan.


Put in oven and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Let cool and enjoy!



The best part about this recipe is that it is definitely versatile. I have used it to make mini loaves and muffins. I love adding toasted walnuts and chocolate chips to it too. If you were to make it what would you put in it to make it your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment